Nothing better on a damp November day than to think about the warm glow of Christmas and the festive fizz that can make you glow even brighter.
I came across two delicious drinks to serve our friends and family when perusing my November issue of the Waitrose Food magazine today.
I feel a Countdown to the Festive Season coming on ...
Day1 Festive Fizz
Two drinks to get us started today: Mulled Cider and Sloe Gin Martini.
Image: Ingrid's iPad with Hipstamatic via Waitrose magazine Nov 11
If you remember I showed you my sloes here and if you too have a gin mix maturing in your cupboard, this is a marvellous way to use it and treat your guests, who are unlikely to have tried it before (unless they read this blog of course).
- Mix 80 ml of sloe gin, from your distillery or Waitrose, with 40 ml of sweet vermouth in an ice filled mixing vessel.
- Strain this into 2 chilled martini glasses, garnish with lemon zest spirals. Serve it over more ice if you want to be really chill.
|Image: Ingrid's iPad with Hipstamatic via Waitrose magazine Nov 11|
- Mix 1 litre of dry cider with 250ml apple juice, 75ml of brandy, 100gram caster sugar, 1 cinnamon stick, 8 cardamom pods, 2 cloves, 1 star anise, zest of 1 orange, 2 cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and cut into chunks. Add all the above into a large saucepan.
- Stir over a gentle heat till the sugar is dissolved. Heat slowly until hot, but do not boil.
- Take the juice of 1/2 a lemon with it's zest and stir this in.
- Serve in thickish glasses and inhale deeply as you sip. Delicious.
(Be sure to check out James' blog, a veritable feast awaits you there)
Back soon with more ideas to cook up during December.